Monday, September 3, 2012

Mercy Project - Addressing Child Slavery in Ghana

This is a relatively new ministry that I was asked to blog about, and after learning more about it, I was very willing to do so! It seems respectful of the Ghanaian culture- of the village leaders - and offers a creative way to help end child slavery in Ghana.

As I understand it, what this ministry does, is go into the villages that depend on fishing to survive. They are the ones that have child slaves to hep them on their boats. The Mercy Project workers begin to meet with the village leaders and, over time, introduce them to the idea of farming fish - that is, raising the fish in enclosures. This method yields better harvests for the fishermen and eliminates the need for the child slaves.

Once there is no need for the slaves, Mercy Project takes custody of the children & brings them to a safe place where they can recieve medical care & counselling. Efforts are also made to reunite the children with their families.

I have tried  & tried to load an excellent video that explains the project better than I have, but it just isn't working for me. Grrrr! I did manage to get it posted on my FB page though, so if you are on FB, please go check it out. It is NOT graphic, but I could barely manage to watch it as the little boys pictured could so easily have been my precious sons (also from Ghana). These are real children. Real needs. Let's learn more & and ask God how we might be involved. There are so many things we can do. Get the word out! Not everyone is aware that child slavery is alive & well today. Pray! Support financially! Go and help out hands-on in Ghana or in other parts of the world! Why not?

Here are few pics of precious little boys that are slaves in Ghana.... (pics provided by Mercy Project)





You can learn much more at www.mercyproject.net

No comments: