Monday, March 16, 2009

Traveling, Chickens & Baby Fever

We've had a crazy last two weeks. John found out last minute that he had to go to Alaska with work, so I quickly decided to also travel during that time & take Mark & our two dogs up to Canada for a visit with my family. I had one day to arrange everything & pack up. We all had a good time away - happy to go & then happy to get home again.

A day after we got home, a chick hatched - so exciting & such a cute little cheeping fluff! The next day it was dead. We're not sure if the hen accidentally stepped on it or what...but so sad nonetheless. The other two eggs still haven't hatched so I'm thinking they may be duds. I'm feeling pretty glum about it. It's not that I sooooo need more chickens really, it's just that I want more kids (baby fever)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The chicks are just my stop gap until I finally get to adopt from Ghana.

So, now I am thinking I'll maybe mail-order some live chicks like I did two Springs ago. Anyone want to go in on an order - the minimum is 25 chicks & I definitely don't want that many. I hope our adoption progresses, or who knows how many animals we'll end up with!

2 comments:

Christina said...

I am so sorry! I really don't like having to say good-bye to my pets for any reason.

Watch out for that maternal instinct, i ended up with 7 pets. lol.

no, i don't need any chickens and the transport might be an issue. ;-)

Michelle said...

Hey Patty-
We really don't need more chicks either, but I wanted to tell you I think you can order six at a time from Tractor Supply. Also, you guys are MORE THAN WELCOME to some of our chicks when/if they hatch. Our hen is sitting on nine eggs right now that we figure will hatch sometime this week...just let me know. :-)